Some Roku® streaming players and the Roku® Streaming Stick® can be powered by connecting to the USB port of the TV (“USB-powered”). However, in some cases the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.
Roku players may indicate low-power in two different ways.
Red Light is Flashing
Most Roku players have a light on the front of the unit. Under normal operation this light is either off or white, and may flash when you press buttons on your remote control. However, it will FLASH RED when your device has insufficient power.
- Note: If the RED LIGHT IS SOLID (not flashing), your Roku player is overheating. Unplug and remove your Roku player immediately and refer to: go.roku.com/tempcheck
Low-Power Warning on Screen
If your TV is providing insufficient power to your Roku player or Roku Streaming Stick, you may see the following message when the device boots-up:
Alternatively, you may see this message:
What should I do?
- Verify that you are using the USB cable that came with your Roku player
- If you are using any USB cable other the one that came with your Roku player, replace it with the one that came with your Roku player.
- Try a different USB Port
- Some USB ports have different power characteristics. Connecting your Roku player or Roku Streaming Stick to a different USB port on your TV may resolve the issue.
- Connect power to power-outlet
- Using the included power cord and power adapter*, connect the Roku player or Roku Streaming Stick to a working power outlet in the wall.
- Connecting to a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power-up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would connected to a TV.
* We cannot guarantee that using an alternate non-Roku USB power adapter will work reliably and recommend that you use the power adapter that came with your Roku.