The Roku® mobile app is a free application for iOS® and Android™ devices that turns your mobile device into a control center for your Roku streaming device.
Expert Picture Settings, or EPS, is a feature included with the Roku mobile app that enables expert AV enthusiasts and professional calibrators to fine-tune key picture quality settings that are not available within Roku TV’s standard Options menu. EPS is specifically designed for expert AV enthusiasts and professional TV calibrators who are comfortable with, and knowledgeable about, advanced picture quality concepts such as color temperature, white balance adjustment, gamma curve, and color management.
Using a mobile device, rather than on-screen controls on the TV, EPS provides better usability and an unobstructed view of the screen while fine-tuning.
What you need to use Expert Picture Settings
- Install the Roku Mobile App on your iOS or Android device.
- Setup your compatible Roku TV. (All 4K UHD Roku TV models support EPS with the mobile application.)
- Your Roku TV and your mobile device must be connected to the same wireless network. If the Roku mobile app cannot find your Roku device, review these potential causes.
- A Colorimeter and a Pattern Generator (strongly recommended).
How to access Expert Picture Settings
- Switch to the HDMI input you wish to adjust or begin playing a movie or TV show on a channel (to adjust settings for streaming content).
- Launch the Roku mobile app and tap the Settings icon from the navigation bar.
- Tap the Expert Picture Settings selection to reveal the EPS menu.
What you can modify with Expert Picture Settings
EPS enables modification of the following parameters on Roku TV:
11 Point White Balance Adjustment:
Color Management System:
- EPS automatically reads, and will modify, the current input and picture quality values from the Roku TV upon entering the EPS menu.
- When parameters are modified by EPS, an asterisk is displayed on the corresponding parameter, if available, on the TV menu to indicate the change.
- Modifications to Color Management, gamma and noise reduction are saved to the picture mode settings for the selected input.
- 11 Point White Balance modifications are written to global (not input-specific) color temperature values. The color temperature can be fine-tuned by stepping through the 11 point gains.
How to roll back your changes
The Color Management and White Balance tabs in EPS both contain Reset buttons which will return your Roku TV back to the factory settings. Your Roku TV also has an option to reset all TV audio/picture settings back to original factory presets within the Settings > System > Advanced system settings menu.
Why you may see "Signal Required" when starting Expert Picture Settings
When starting EPS, you may see the message below.
EPS requires either an active HDMI input or an active stream to work. Connect a device to the HDMI input, or start streaming content from your favorite channel; then try activating EPS again.