The Roku® mobile app is a free application for iOS® and Android™ devices that turns your mobile device into a control center for your Roku streaming device. Private listening is a feature of the Roku mobile app that allows you to listen to the audio from your Roku device on the headphones connected to your mobile device.
Before you can use private listening, you must first install the latest version of the Roku mobile app.
- When private listening is active, you will not hear audio from your TV speakers.
- Private listening via the Roku mobile app is available only on iOS® and Android™ devices.
- Both the Roku mobile app and Roku device must be connected to the same wireless network.
- Private listening is also available when using your headphones with compatible Roku remotes.
You can use the Roku device comparison chart to determine which products support Private listening via Roku mobile app.
How to activate private listening
IMPORTANT: Do not put your headphones on until the volume is at a safe level.
To activate private listening, simply open the Roku mobile app on your iOS® or Android™ mobile device and plug in your headphones. Adjust the volume before putting your headphones on. When you want to disable private listening, unplug your headphones.
When your headphones are plugged in, you can activate and disable private listening by tapping on the headphone icon .
- Note: Private listening may only be active on one mobile device at a time.
If you are experiencing intermittent connectivity or hear audio issues, learn how to solve problems with private listening.