Just like your smartphone has an “app store” for installing new applications, you can access the Roku Channel Store on your Roku® streaming player or Roku TV™ to add new “channels”. Although some channels must be purchased or require a paid subscription, many others allow you to watch movies and TV shows for free. Additionally, current generation Roku devices include access to The Roku Channel, which features hit movies and TV at no cost to you.
Finding free movies and TV shows using Featured Free on your Roku device
Use the Featured Free option on the Home screen of your Roku device to discover thousands of free movies, current season TV episodes, and classic TV shows from Roku’s content partners. The content will automatically open in the content partner's channel. If you do not have the channel on your Roku device, it will automatically be installed before opening content. You can browse the Featured Free section by pressing the Home button on your Roku remote, scrolling down, and selecting Featured Free.
Finding free channels using the Roku Channel Store on your Roku device
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Scroll up or down and select Streaming Channels.
- Select Top Free to view the most popular free channels.
- Choose a channel and press the OK button to view more options.
- To install the channel, select Add channel.
Once downloaded, new channels are added to the list of channels under Home on the main screen of your Roku device. Scroll down and you will see your new channel at the bottom of your list of channels. If you prefer, the channel can be moved higher in the list.
Finding free channels using the Roku Channel Store on the website
On the web, you can browse a list on Roku’s Channel page. Scroll down to the “Top Free” section and browse the most popular choices. Choose a channel and follow the instructions to add the channel.
- Note: The channel will not immediately appear in the list of channels on your Roku device. Your Roku device checks every 24 hours for any new channels you have added from the website and automatically installs them. If you would like to download the channel immediately, go to your Roku device and select Settings > System > System update > Check now.