Just like your smartphone accesses an “app store” to add new applications, your Roku streaming device accesses the Roku Channel Store to add new channels. Some channels require a paid subscription or a one-time charge, while many others are free. Browse the Roku Channel Store directly from your Roku device, or by visiting channelstore.roku.com.
Adding channels from your Roku device
- Press on your remote to open the main screen.
- Scroll up or down and select Streaming Channels to open the Channel Store.
At the top of the Channel Store is a list of featured, new and popular categories to explore. You can enter a keyword in Search Channels to find choices based on the title of a channel. Below that are a variety of genres to browse.
Tip: When browsing lists or channel grids, press or on your remote to jump up or down one page at a time.
- When you want to learn more about a channel, press on your remote to open the details. In addition to a synopsis and rating, you can preview screenshots of the channel.
- If the channel is “free” then you can select Add Channel to install the channel on your Roku device.
- If the channel is “paid”, then you can select Buy $X.XX in order to purchase and install the channel.
- If you have a Roku account PIN, then you will be required to enter it. If you do not have a PIN and wish to protect against unauthorized purchases, learn how to create a PIN for your Roku account.
- If your payment information is out-of-date, it will need to be updated in your Roku account.
If you are installing a channel to your Roku device, it will be added to the list of channels under Home on the main screen. Scroll down, it will have been added to the bottom of the list of channels. If you prefer, the channel can be moved higher in the list.
Installing Themes and Screensavers
If you are installing a Theme or Screensaver, it will be added to the list of themes or screensavers in Settings > Themes and Settings > Screensaver on your Roku device. It will not be added to the list of channels under Home on the main screen.
Adding Channels from the Web
When you are not in front of your Roku device, you can access the Channel Store from your computer or smartphone.
- Go to channelstore.roku.com.
- Select My account and sign in to your Roku account.
At the top of the site is a selection of categories and genres to explore. Below that you can enter a keyword in the Search channel box to find choices based on the title of a channel.
- When you want to learn more about a channel, select Details. You will see the same synopsis, rating and screenshots that appear when viewing the details on your Roku device.
- Follow the instructions to add or purchase the channel, theme or screensaver.
Once added, the channel, theme or screensaver will not immediately appear on your Roku device. Your Roku device checks every 24 hours for any new channels, themes or screensavers you have added from the website and automatically installs them. If you would like to download immediately, go to your Roku device and select Settings > System > System update > Check now.