Roku® streaming devices are designed to ensure they are always running the latest version of software. Your Roku device will check to see whether new software is available for download during initial setup and whenever the Roku device is powered on, and then randomly every 24-36 hours. The download and installation are done automatically without ever interrupting your use of the Roku device.
Why would you want to check manually?
You may want to manually check for an update if:
- Your Roku device has been disconnected for an extended period of time.
- You recently installed a channel from channelstore.roku.com.
- You recently installed a non-certified channel.
Manually checking for updates
Follow the instructions below to manually check for software and channel updates.
- Press on your remote to open the main screen.
- Scroll up or down and select Settings.
- Select System.
- Select System update.
Note: The System update screen displays the current software and build version, along with the date and time of the latest update.
- Select Check Now to manually check for updates.
If there is new software available or there are updates for your channels, then your Roku device will download and install them automatically and once completed, your Roku device will reboot.
If you are adding channels and need help, go to How to add channels to your Roku® streaming device.