The setup procedure for all Roku players is essentially the same. This document describes the basic setup instructions for any Roku streaming player. There is a separate article explaining how to set up a Roku® Streaming Stick®.
- Note: Some Roku streaming players support 4K or 4K HDR (models may not be available in all countries); however, you will not be able to take advantage of the 4K resolution without a 4K compatible TV, or 4K HDR without a 4K HDR compatible TV. A compatible television is not the only requirement to stream movies and TV shows in 4K or 4K HDR; learn more about setting up your Roku player for 4K or setting up your Roku player for 4K HDR.
Connecting the Roku player to your TV
All Roku streaming players will work with any television with an HDMI® connection. When connecting your Roku streaming player to your TV using an HDMI connection, we recommend that you use a High Speed HDMI Cable if your TV only supports 720p and 1080p, or a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable if your TV also supports 4K or 4K HDR.
For connecting to older televisions, some Roku models include a standard composite video connection, in addition to the HDMI connection.
Setting up your Roku player
- Connect your Roku streaming player to your TV using either a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable or composite cables.
Note: To stream 4K or 4K HDR content, your compatible Roku player must be connected to an HDMI input that supports HDCP 2.2. For help determining which input supports HDCP 2.2, visit go.roku.com/hdcp.
- If your Roku player has an Ethernet port, you can use an Ethernet cable to connect the Roku player to an available Ethernet port on your router or Ethernet switch.
- Open the battery cover of your remote and insert batteries.
- Connect the power connector to the Roku player and connect the power adapter to a wall outlet.
Make sure the correct TV input is selected on your TV (the input to which your Roku player is connected). You should now see the Roku logo on the TV screen as your Roku player powers on. Help is available if you do not see any picture on your TV or you have problems with your remote control.
Going through Guided Setup
- Choose a language
- When your Roku Player powers on, the first screen will prompt you to choose a language. All text and dialog within the Roku application will be displayed in the selected language. Scroll up and down the list and press the OK button on your Roku remote to choose a language.
- Note: It is the responsibility of the channel provider to translate their channel and some channels may not support your chosen language.
- Connect your Roku player to the internet
- Choose your wireless network from the list of available networks and enter your password. This is most often the same network you use to connect your computer or smartphone to the internet. If you do not see your network, select Scan again to see all networks. For more assistance, see help finding your wireless network and password.
- If you want to see your password as you type, choose Show password. This can help prevent entering the wrong password. Remember, passwords are case-sensitive – use the shift button on the on-screen keyboard to enter a capital letter.
- Once you have entered your password and selected Connect, your Roku player will automatically connect to the internet. You can get more help if you are unable to connect to your wireless network.
- Wait for your Roku player to download the latest software
- Once connected to the internet, your Roku player will check to see if a software update is available. If there is, it will download the latest version and then reboot.
- Set the display type
- Your Roku player will analyze the HDMI connection to determine the best display resolution so you don’t have to manually configure the settings.
- Create a Roku account and activate your Roku player
- In order to activate your Roku player, it must be linked to a Roku account. Your Roku account keeps track of which Roku devices you own and allows you to add free and purchase channels from the Roku Channel Store.
- Instructions for activating your Roku player will be displayed on your TV, including an activation code; e.g. “XCV5TG”. You will be required to visit my.roku.com/link on your computer or smartphone, enter the code and follow the instructions to activate your Roku player.
- You are done!
Once you have completed all the activation steps, your Roku player will be ready to use.