When you activate a Roku streaming device, it must be linked to a Roku account. When you activate more than one Roku device, each device can be linked to a different Roku account, or all devices can be linked to a single Roku account.
- Each Roku device may only be linked to one Roku account at a time.
- There is NEVER a charge to create a Roku account.
Each Roku account stores information about the Roku streaming devices linked to it along with the channels that are installed and purchased, as well as the preferences and account settings.
Linking devices to a single Roku account
When you link multiple Roku devices to a single Roku account, the channels and purchases will be the same on each device. When a channel is added or removed on one device, the channel is automatically added or removed on all devices linked to that account that support the channel.
- Channels must be activated separately on each Roku device.
- Roku devices automatically check every 24 hours for changes and updates. If you would like to check immediately, go to your Roku device and select Settings > System > System update > Check now.
If your Roku account is set up with a PIN to make purchases, that same PIN is required when making purchases from any Roku device linked to your account.
Linking devices to different Roku accounts
When creating more than one Roku account, a valid unique email address must be associated with each account in order to manage the account and receive important notifications. Similarly, you should choose a strong, secure password for each account.
When multiple members in your household need to access different channels on their respective Roku devices, you can link each Roku device to a different Roku account. For example, one account may include channels for the kid's room, while another account includes channels for the parents in the living room.
- Most subscription channels, such as Netflix, can be used across different Roku devices, even when they are linked to different Roku accounts.
- Channels providers may limit the number of devices that can be activated. Check with the channel provider for specific limits.