Some Roku players provide access to a micro SD card slot. Adding a micro SD card allows you to expand the amount of internal memory available for installing channels and games from the Roku Channel Store. The micro SD card is not used for storage of personal media such as photos, videos or music. Personal media can be accessed using a USB device.
As you add more channels, you may see a screen suggesting that you add a micro SD card. While not required, adding a micro SD card to your Roku player allows your channels and games to load faster.
Here is how to install a micro SD card.
On your Roku player:
- Insert the micro SD card into the back of the compatible Roku player. You may hear a click as it locks into place. If you wish to remove the card, push the card in again and it will release and eject.
- Tip: You may have to remove the HDMI® cable from the back of the Roku player in order to access the micro SD card slot. Reinsert the HDMI cable back into the Roku player once you have inserted the micro SD card.
When the micro SD card is inserted:
- Select Format when the dialog indicating, “micro SD card detected” appears.
- Note: Any data already on the micro SD card will be ERASED when formatted.
- Select Continue to begin formatting. Formatting will take a few minutes depending on capacity.
- Select OK on the “Formatting complete” dialog, once formatting has completed.
- The Roku player will now use the micro SD storage to install new channels and games.
For best results, we recommend a Class 2 or greater micro SD card with a minimum of 2GB storage.
Removing a micro SD card
- Removing the micro SD card will not cause any channels or games you have purchased or installed to be lost. However, without the micro SD card they will need to be downloaded again from the Roku Channel Store in order to access them. You will not be charged when you download any channel you have already purchased.
Can I move a micro SD card to another Roku player?
- You cannot move the channels stored on the micro SD card from one Roku player to another. If you move a card to a different Roku player, the micro SD card will be reformatted by that device.