What should I know before setting up my Roku Enhanced Remote?
- During initial setup and activation, you will be able to set up your Roku Enhanced Remote to control volume and power for your TV. You can also set it up later by visiting Settings > Remote > Set up remote for TV control.
- During the remote setup, your Roku player will attempt to automatically detect the brand of your TV (over the HDMI connection) and program your Roku Enhanced Remote. In cases where the brand cannot be detected automatically, you will be taken through a series of steps to manually enter the brand and help program your remote (see setup section below).
- When information is gathered via HDMI, often only the brand of the device connected directly to your Roku player can be detected. For this reason, we recommend you always connect your Roku player directly to your TV during setup. If you plan to set up your Roku player for surround sound, temporarily connect your Roku player directly to your TV and complete setup before making any connections to the audio/video receiver or sound bar.
How do I set up my Roku Enhanced Remote during initial setup and activation?
When you set up your Roku player for the first time, you will need to connect it to the internet and set the display type before you are presented with the screen to Check remote settings. This is the first step to setting up your Roku Enhanced Remote to control volume and power for your TV.
Before you begin, set the volume of your TV to an audible level. As you make selections, keep your Roku Enhanced Remote pointed directly at the TV.
- Select Check remote settings to begin.
- When you hear music playing, select Yes to confirm. If you do not hear music playing, try increasing the volume using your TV remote.
- Next, your Roku player will attempt to mute the volume using remote codes for the detected TV brand. If the music stops, select Yes.
If the music continues to play, select No. Your Roku player was unable to detect the correct information about your TV, however, you can manually enter the brand by selecting Enter TV brand.
As you enter the brand using the on-screen keyboard, the list to the right will populate. After you select the brand, music will begin playing again. Select Yes when you hear it. As before, your Roku player will next attempt to mute volume, this time using the first of multiple remote codes for the TV brand you entered. After each code is attempted, you will be asked if the music stops playing. When it does, select Yes.
- Your Roku Enhanced Remote is now programmed to control both volume and power of your TV. Select OK to continue.
Note: The Roku Enhanced Remote may not be able to control volume and power on all TV models. With some TV models, you may only be able to control volume, and not power.
How do I set up my Roku Enhanced Remote after initial setup and activation?
After your Roku player is activated and set up, you can access the settings menu any time to set up the Roku Enhanced Remote to control your TV. If your Roku player is connected to an AVR or sound bar, we recommend temporarily connecting it directly to your TV during setup to successfully detect the brand of your TV.
- Press the Home button on your Roku Enhanced Remote.
- Scroll up or down and select Settings.
- Select Remote and then select Set up remote for TV control.
- Select Start to automatically set up your Roku Enhanced Remote to control the volume and power on your TV.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
As described above, your Roku device plays music to help during the setup process. If you do not hear the music or it does not mute correctly, review the troubleshooting steps for setting up your Roku Enhanced Remote to control power and volume on your TV.