No. Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.
Also, our Roku customer support agents will never:
- Ask for access to your computer.
- Ask for your social security number or date of birth.
- Ask for passwords for your computer or your Roku account.
- Advise you to purchase any sort of anti-virus software.
We are aware of certain fraudulent websites that are not affiliated with Roku, but who claim to offer “Roku Technical Support”. These sites will endeavor to charge a fee or extract personal information. Roku does not endorse any third-parties to offer troubleshooting or provide technical support to our customers. These scammers create official-looking webpages directing users to provide their contact information so that they may be contacted by a “support agent”. These webpages are most commonly encountered when users search for Roku support using a search engine and follow links to sites outside of the roku.com domain. All our customer support webpages have URLs that point to the roku.com domain, for example support.roku.com. If you come across a webpage whose URL points to a domain other than roku.com and that purports to offer technical support for Roku products, the webpage is NOT affiliated with Roku and you should NOT follow any instructions on the webpage.
- Note: Some sites claim that they can access your Roku device remotely or through your computer; however, this is simply a fraudulent means to gain access to your computer and obtain personal information.
What should I do if I have paid for support with a fraudulent website?
If you believe that you are the victim of a technical support scam from another company, please take the following actions:
- Call your credit card company and ask to have any associated charges reversed.
- Check your bank and credit card statements for inaccuracies.
- Remove any software that this company may have installed on your computer, and change any passwords for programs used on your computer that was accessed by this company.
- Change your password on your Roku.com account.
If you believe that you have interacted with a fraudulent site, please email Roku Customer Advocate and if possible, include the following:
- The name (or URL) of the fraudulent support website.
- The phone number of the fraudulent support website.
- The terms you entered to search (if you found the site through search).